In this post, I would be reviewing the very famous (and not at all famous in India) workout called the Bikini Body Training Guide or BBG by Kayla Itsines. Her Instagram has a whooping 7.1 million followers and I’ve been following her since a year, if not more ! There are times I’ve opened her page to get motivated to workout after seeing thousands of pictures of women transforming their body and the daily quotes Kayla puts up along with such relatable captions which make me realise that despite those abs and the great body of hers, she’s still like all of us and loves treating herself every now and then.
I decided to do her program once college ends as it needs weights and also because its the longest program I’ve done- 3 months long!
What is BBG?
- Its a 12-week program.
- It’s a PDF file and 3 days/week workout plan is given i.e. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On other 2-3 days, you’re expected to do 45min of low intensity cardio or 15-20min of high intensity cardio.
- Same workout on alternate weeks. E.g. Week 1 and Week 3 have the same workout, week 2 and 4 have the same workout, and so on.
- Its 28min long in total. 2 sets of 7 minutes each, done twice. so 2×7 + 2×7 = 28.
- There’s a day for upper body, legs, legs+ cardio, abs, and so on.
- Once you finish BBG 1.0, you can do BBG 2.0 which is from Week 12-24.
- The COMMUNITY. Every body is so warm and positive ! There are groups and pages consisting of thousands of women from across the globe and they are always there to lift you up!
Why did I go for BBG?
If you’ve seen her Instagram page, which I insist that you should, it’s very tempting to not do a workout which would produce results like that. Or if you search for any BBG related hashtags on Instagram, you’ll see how people put up their BBG transformations even every 4 weeks. I had my college, final exams, and a wisdom tooth extraction before that and spent a good 1.5 month not working out. So I thought, why not give it a try since I have a long break after exams? 🙂 This way, I can complete the program and be committed to it.
Now, the most crucial part- Pros and Cons. I will associate most points with my own instances.
- I felt stronger. If on week 1 I could barely push through 20 burpees, on week 3 I could do about 50. The weekly repetition of workouts helps you track your progress.
- Very, very toned legs.
- It’s extremely challenging. Everyday is harder than the previous day. It’s like fighting against yourself everyday and pushing your boundaries.
- Short! The workout is 28min but warming up, cooling down and set breaks make it about 35-40min. I could easily fit it in my schedule which is a workday from 8am-6pm.
- The BBG Community ! Everyone is so kind and ready to help you. They have various groups on Facebook. A lot of these wonderful ladies get featured on Kayla’s page and share their journey, which motivates you every time you want to give up.
- RESULTS. My results aren’t even close to others’. In fact, my transformation with 28 days of Insanity Max 30 were 10x better than 3 months of BBG. Which was quite a disappointment tbh coz I gave 3 times the commitment as compared to Max 30.
- Too many burpees. It’s an issue for me as I have a knee problem.
Would I suggest it? – YES!
Why? Because I don’t want you to judge based on my results. We all have different body types and what may suit me may not suit you, what may work on you may not work on me. Moreover, just because I didn’t lose my stubborn belly doesn’t mean I didn’t get better arms, toned legs and overall gain muscles. Oh boy! The gains feel so, so good ! Oh, and don’t forget how thousands of women have undergone a complete transformation because of this workout.
A reason for me not getting my expected results could be that since I’m interning right now, I have days when I don’t eat 7 hours straight between my lunch and breakfast. I know thats terrible, but on the contrary, it made me realise that lack of eating made me gain more weight that I imagined! Before I go further on what lack of eating did, I promise you that I’ll write a detailed post on this one because its very, very important.
It‘s about the journey, not about the destination ! And I’ve had a wonderful journey !
To buy her workouts, click here.
Note : I did not follow her H.E.L.P nutrition guide (because I don’t believe in diets silly, just eat clean).
Below are the links of my reviews of previous workout reviews :
Currently, I am doing 21 Day fix Extreme again 🙂